Rooney’s stepson verbally abused him, confined him to his home by taking away his travel documents, deprived him of food and medicine, and took control of his finances. Rooney was a victim of elder abuse for years before he worked up courage to file restraining order against his abuser.
“When a man feels helpless, it is terrible. And I was helpless,” Rooney said. “For years I suffered silently, unable to muster the courage to seek the help I knew I needed.”
And that’s why Rooney decided to testify before Congress… if elder abuse could happen to him, it could happen to anyone.
According tot he Administration of Aging, here are some of the telltale signs that indicate someone may be the victim of elder abuse:
- Bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns may be an indication of physical abuse, neglect, or mistreatment.
- Unexplained withdrawal from normal activities, a sudden change in alertness, and unusual depression may be indicators of emotional abuse.
- Bruises around the breasts or genital area can occur from sexual abuse. Sudden changes in financial situations may be the result of exploitation.
- Bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene, and unusual weight loss are indicators of possible neglect.
- Behavior such as belittling, threats, and other uses of power and control by spouses are indicators of verbal or emotional abuse.
- Strained or tense relationships, frequent arguments between the caregiver and elderly person are also signs.
Watch the courageous video below. May this Hollywood legend rest in peace.